Monday, 5 October 2026

Why Did an EdTech Startup Need a Replacement Before Probation?

 

I was working with an EdTech startup in Gurugram when the founder asked for a replacement for a candidate who had completed only 2.5 months.

My first thought was not, “Who should we hire next?”

It was:

“Why didn't this hire work?”

Because if we don't understand that, we may make the same mistake again.

Before your next hire, ask yourself:

1. Is the role clear? Does the person know what they are expected to deliver?

2. Is the manager clear? Do both agree on what good performance looks like?

3. Is the first 90 days clear? Are the expectations defined from the start?

4. Are performance issues discussed early? Or only when replacement becomes the answer?

5. If this person leaves, what will you change? The hiring criteria, role, onboarding or management?

Score yourself

5/5 — Good foundation 3–4 — Look at the gaps 0–2 — Fix the basics before hiring again

But the score isn't the most important part.

Ask yourself:

If I had to replace this person tomorrow, would I hire differentlyor just hire again?

A replacement fills the vacancy.

It doesn't tell you why the vacancy happened.

If you're dealing with a similar hiring or people challenge, happy to compare notes.

Why Did an EdTech Startup Need a Replacement Before Probation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you question an employee’s performance, look at the stability around them.

  Early in my career, I joined an NBFC. Within a few month...